Saturday 11 June 2016

The 10 Rules to Being a Money-Wise Traveller

Actually, I prefer the term “stingy”. I am stingy. I am cheap. I enjoy myself but I also make sure that I have money left in the bank. Here's how to do it:

    Rule number 1. Don't drink/smoke
Ok, so this is my first one and I know immediately that most people will struggle with this – but it's the one that has saved me the most money. I consider myself lucky that I am not addicted to these legal drugs that kill the body and rinse the bank account. For backpackers and young people in general, I believe these are the reasons that people complain about having no money. Can't remember where your money went? Well that's because you drank it. The secret that everyone has been keeping from you is – you don't need alcohol to have a good time.


    Rule number 2. McDonalds
Don't worry, I'm not going to tell you that you can't have a Macca's either. Infact, McDonald's has been our lifeline while we've been in Australia. $1 (50p) for a hash brown and you have access to all day free internet, and if you're lucky, a plug socket to charge your devices. To be money-wise though, you have to be careful not to spend all your cash on their food. Joe and I have taken to sitting in the van in the carpark during our lunch break to use the free wifi, without having to spend a dollar on any over-priced artery blockers. Though, if you are buying food, another tip is to always ask for extra condiments. The mayo will be useful for making my egg mayo sandwiches tomorrow lunchtime, and the butter is a welcome treat on my morning toast – but this way I don't have to buy a whole tub of it.



    Rule number 3. When you have money, buy a campervan


If you're making a big trip, you should have saved money beforehand. If you're lucky it will be enough to buy a van, which for us, has been a life saver. If travelling with someone else, this is do-able. You will save money on accommodation in the long run, and be able to get your money back for the van when you sell it at the end of your trip. As an example, a hostel dorm room is about $30 each. A campsite can be free, or from $5 to $30 for 2 people if you like the added luxuries of a warm shower and kitchen. Remember to look after the van and it will look after you. Service it regularly and get proper insurance to avoid paying hefty fees down the line.

    Rule number 4. Work for accommodation
If you can't buy a van, this one is an excellent idea. Many hostels have a work for accommodation scheme where you work as a housekeeper for 3-4 hours of the day in return for free nights accommodation. We did this in Melbourne while we were waiting for our van to get fixed, and it saved us $60 per day for as long as we were there. Make sure you put your name down for this quickly, there can often be a waiting list!

    Rule number 5. Don't buy stupid things
This includes souvenirs, junk food (I write whilst eating a chocolate chip cookie), didgeridoos and other random things you can't take home with you. You don't need to buy a new outfit every week because you don't have space for it in your backpack. Souvenirs that you want to take home can be bought the week before you leave, as long as they fit in your bag. And well, I love junk food. But just don't buy too much of it. Be a savvy shopper. Things like porridge oats, eggs and rice are cheap and make good filling meals. Stock up on tinned food that won't spoil, and buy the fresh stuff on the day that you intend to eat it.

    Rule number 6. Look for jobs with accommodation
Jobs such as working in a hostel/hotel, as an au pair or even on some farms. You may get reduced pay for the cost of the accommodation, but at least you know where you'll be sleeping at night.

    Rule number 7. Coupons, loyalty cards and voucher codes
The same as you would when you're back at home (well, I do anyway!). I got a supermarket loyalty card 2 weeks ago and already have about 500 points on it (equivalent of about $2.50 off my next shop). It all adds up though! Currently we are looking at booking a tour of Fraser Island – which for 3 days comes to about $400 when booking through the caravan site or travel agent. Doing a bit of research finds me last minute deals online for $250 dollars. Not bad! Many companies have voucher codes online. Look these up before paying for accommodation or even when going out for a meal.
    Rule number 8. Markets and garage sales
Aussie's love these, and so do I. You can find all sorts of bargains, from clothes to DVDs to camping equipment. But remember rule number 5. Don't buy stupid things that you don't need. Don't be afraid to barter. It's a fun and beneficial skill to learn. At the end of the day, you're the one with the money and it's the golden rule – he who has the gold makes the rules. As an example to this, at a gourmet sausage stand, Joe and I saw a deal “3 for $12”. Sounds great when the sausages are $6 each. But Joe decided he didn't want to pay that much, and haggled with the vendor to sell him 3 for $9.

    Rule number 9. Get a youth/student card and ask for discount
Before travelling, Joe and I bought a youth travel card for £12 from STA Travel, which gives you cheaper air fare as well as discount at some places. I don't have a clue where I'm supposed to get discount, but anywhere I see a different price for concessions is a good place to start. If you don't ask, you don't get. This even worked at the local pool in Toowoomba. The staff didn't know if they take this card as a valid concessions discount, so they gave it to me anyway. I've also spoken to backpackers who became students just for the student discount. You can buy courses online or from some universities for about £15, and then you've got a nice shiny student card.

    Rule number 10. Watch where you shop
This one is important wherever you go, even when you're back at home. But being in a new place or foreign country can sometimes be difficult because you're not used to their big name brands and don't know where to find the cheapest bargain. Do a bit of research before you come out, and also ask the locals where they shop. Avoid service stations for buying, well, anything. Small towns can also put the price up in their local shop too, so try to stock up on things you need at a big supermarket or even the weekly farmers market.

So there's the secret as to how we've survived so long. It's easy when it becomes habit, and money becomes less of a worry so you can focus on what you came here to do – have fun!

Got any more tips? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment