Friday 14 April 2017

The Matakana Coast Wine Country - Why this region is a MUST see

For almost 2 months we've been living in a small town called Warkworth, which is located about a 40 minute drive north of Auckland. Before we arrived, I'd never heard of this town, but now I'm going to tell you why it is SO worth visiting.
Warkworth wharf on the river
We don't tired of a swim in the pool after work every day!
We originally found the place through a job ad online - cleaner/receptionist wanted to work part time in return for a weekly wage and a room in a beautiful motel, The Warkworth Lodge. The lodge has pool, spa, and charming living areas. Their company, Matakana Tours offers wine tasting and tours of the local vineyards, as well as limousine hire for parties, events and people with too much money who need a ride from Auckland terminal 1 to terminal 2 (actual request!). This job was a great opportunity, and to earn a bit more money on top of that, Joe and I both went into town to find an additional job. Having worked previously at Park Cameras in the UK, I thought I'd try my luck and walked into the town's small camera shop, asked for a job, and was told to start tomorrow. I've been working on their website (check it out here to see how sexy I've made it), as well as serving customers and printing on the mini lab. Now we're more than a month on, and I don't want to leave!
Bethany and I showing off canvases (image stolen from their website)

The stretch of coastline that homes the towns surrounding Warkworth is the Matakana Coast Wine Country; named so after Matakana, it's central town, and the numerous vineyards in the area. If wine is your thing, this is definitely the place to go. As well as wine, the region has a number or micro breweries producing exquisite beers, ales and ciders. Tahi Bar is a local pub in Warkworth serving only locally brewed drinks. They also have jolly staff and a great atmosphere!
Having a beer in the Rusty Pelican, Matakana
 Now, I haven't been everywhere (as much as I'd like to), but I'm pretty sure this town is the friendliest place in the world. The welcoming attitude and hospitality of every person I've met has been overwhelming. The community feel is unlike any I've experienced anywhere else.

Feijoas given to me by a customer
I've seen it in almost every instance - shop owners going out of their way for customers; locals welcoming visitors and foreigners as their own; a customer at work gave me a bag of feijoas* that she had grown herself because she knew I'd never seen them before. Joe and I even ended up booking a horse riding tour in the carpark of the supermarket after seeing the company vehicle. The guy was extremely friendly, and even picked us up from our accommodation and dropped us back after at no charge, giving us the scenic route to allow us to see the absolutely monstrous Kauri tree outside the Warkworth museum (800+ years old, standing at about 40m high!)
Here's Joe standing next to a massive Kauri tree... can you see him?

The horse riding tour was outstanding! It was a birthday present to Joe from his aunty back in England, who loves horses. The company, Horse Riding Warkworth, were fun, professional and accommodating. Neither of us had ridden horses before, but that wasn't a problem - we were trotting in no time. The hour tour took us through some beautiful countryside, up hills and through woods, and for a second I really thought I was a character in the hobbit (not just because I'm small).
Joe and I on horseback

The best view
As well as awesome people, this region has so much to offer! Knowing that Joe and I work 7 days a week and don't yet have a car, my boss at The Camera Shop offered to take us on a drive one saturday evening. And in that one evening I got to see pretty much the whole region, tasted the fine delicacies (fush and chups) and drank at numerous watering holes (too many that night, if I'm honest!). He gave me a polaroid camera and unlimited film to document our adventure.

Polaroid Snaptouch and pictures of the evening
The drive started with a bottle of feijoa wine in the backseat of the car (I felt like a proper celebrity being chauffered around), and we visited nearby areas of Leigh, Omaha, Snells Beach and Goat Island marine park.
Omaha Beach

Goat Island

Goat Island
The quaint town of Matakana is not to be missed either, with plentiful shops, bars, restaurants, a cinema, and apparently - killer eels (I saw a sign for them, but never actually found the eels. Much disappointment). The cinema, where Joe and I went to see Kong, has 2 large screens. We had one to ourselves on this occassion and it was quite possibly the fanciest cinema I've ever seen, with a large chandelier on the ceiling!
Snapped a sneaky picture before the film started!
So, it's been a relaxing few weeks soaking up the chilled out atmosphere of this region, and we're learning to appreciate just how beautiful the landscape is and how awesome the people are in this country. For the last few days we've been looking at getting a car or van, so lots more adventuring to come and I'll keep you updated!

* Feijoas - a fruit native to south America and widely grown in New Zealand. They have a gooey and slightly gritty consistency, but a sweet, delicious taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment